Sunday, November 4, 2007

代客搜索引擎 (Search engine as a guide)

Library Views 圖書館觀點 - 次世代搜索引擎
http://libraryviews.blogsome.com/2006/11/22/440/



嚮導服務有點似圖書館網上的 Ask a Librarian,差別就是 ChaCha <http://www.chacha.com/> 的回應是即時性的。

Guide service is similar to Ask a Librarian on library's website. Difference is the ChaCha gives instant response.

經過試用,發現提出問題後,被轉介的嚮導並不一定擁有該問題的知識或熟悉該類資訊的搜尋。這或許是 ChaCha 嚮導的知識層面未夠廣闊,分類的類別也欠準確/頗狹窄,反映應付複雜問題的情況仍有代改善。

After testing, I noticed that after a question is submitted, the guide transferred to answer it may lack knowledge or familiarity in doing the search of the topic. It may because guides hired by ChaCha do not have wide knowledge or the category is classified inaccurately and narrowly. It reflects that there is room for improvement when dealing with complex or complicated questions.

以下是我詢問 "the charactistic of Hong Kong Cantonese in sociolinguistic view" 的對話記錄︰

This is the conversation record of my question "the charactistic of Hong Kong Cantonese in sociolinguistic view":

Status: Looking for a guide ...
Status: Connected to guide: Jennifer W
Jennifer W: Welcome to ChaCha!
Jennifer W: Hi there. I will be helping with your search.
You: Hey... I'd like to know the charactistic of hong kong cantonese in sociolinguistic view. Thx!
Jennifer W: Ok, give me a moment while I find that for you.
You: sure.. thx a lot
Jennifer W: Let me transfer you to someone that would be better equipted to help you one moment please.
Transfer: You are being transfered to another guide who can help you search even better!
Looking for guide ...
Status: Connected to guide: DeniseE
DeniseE: Welcome to ChaCha!
DeniseE: Hi there. I will be helping with your search.
You: Hey... I'd like to know the charactistic of hong kong cantonese in sociolinguistic view. Thx!
You: you there?
DeniseE: Yes, just one moment
DeniseE: I need to refer you to another guide who is more well versed in this area
Transfer: You are being transfered to another guide who can help you search even better!
Looking for guide ...
Status: Connected to guide: amandas
amandas: Welcome to ChaCha!
amandas: Hi how are you?
You: Good, how you doing... I'd like to know the charactistic of hong kong cantonese in sociolinguistic view. Thx!
amandas: Great thanks
Transfer: You are being transfered to another guide who can help you search even better!
Looking for guide ...
Status: Connected to guide: JasonK
JasonK: Welcome to ChaCha!
JasonK: Can you further clarify your search term?
You: hm... How do Hong Kong people use "Hong Kong" Cantonese (not Guangdong Cantonese) in society and how different people and regions affect its usage.
You: could you help?
You: excuse me, you there?
You: Thanks, I'm done.
Status: Session ended.
Status: Looking for a guide ...
Status: Connected to guide: HollyH
HollyH: Welcome to ChaCha!
HollyH: Hello!
You: I'd like to find the information about the charactistic of hong kong cantonese in socialinguistic view. Thx!
HollyH: Sure, one moment.
HollyH: Are these the types of sites you were looking for?
You: Yeah... cool! what if I want more specific information which focuses on the Hong Kong Cantonese used by different genders?
HollyH: Okay, sure. One moment.
HollyH: Are you a lingusitics student?
You: I was... are you?
HollyH: I hae my MS in Mass Communications - took a lot of international comm. classes. :)
HollyH: Well, I think I've exhausted my search tools. Hopefully I've given you a few sites.
HollyH: It looks like Dr. Chan might have some info you're looking for.
HollyH: (Last site)
You: Cool... I bet it's the first time you search information about Cantonese...
HollyH: Yup! Never done that type of search before.
HollyH: Anything else I can help you with tonight?
HollyH: Have a great night!
HollyH: Please RATE ME. Thanks for using ChaCha.
Status: Session ended.

Here listing the information HollyH provided
http://underground.chacha.com/category/psr/1847335

從以上可見,需要轉介的次數其實不少,幸好最後遇到一位讀過大眾傳播碩士的女士提供合適資料。我認為,Cha Cha 其中一項聘請嚮導的條件 (在美國合法工作) 限制了它吸納全球知識文化者,它要進一步發展就要想辦法解決美國勞工法的限制。

It can be seen from the above that I was transferred quite a few times. Luckily, I happen to be transferred to a lady who has a MA degree in Mass Communication finding suitable information for me. I think a term (work legally in US) in ChaCha's employment regulation has limited ChaCha to absorb global intelligents with rich knowledge, especially cultural knowledge. If ChaCha wants to further develop, they need to figure out how to get release from the US Labor law and employment law.

這個結合知識、智慧、經驗、技巧的次世代搜索引擎提供的服務正是存在在我腦內概念的真實品。我很高興它的出現,更期待能夠參與其中,成為其嚮導。

This is a next generation search engine combining knowledge, wisdom, experience and skills. Its concept is exactly what I had in mind. And it's real. I am very excited about its birth and wish that I can be part of it as a guide.

補充 [Supplement] (Dec 14, 2006)︰
Read/WriteWeb - ChaCha: A Human-Powered Search Engine
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/chacha_human-powered_search.php

補充 [Supplement] (Apr 1, 2008)

Webware.com - ChaCha lets you, literally, ask a question
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9907011-2.html

---

Posted at

Alan Poon's Blog - 代客搜索引擎
2006-11-23 11:58:12 am
http://alanpoon.wordpress.com/2006/11/23/代客搜索引擎/

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: